Volunteer Colombia Kids Project
Volunteer with the Colombia Kids Project and help our dedicated staff give the disadvantaged children of Medellin a better education, a brighter future and the chance to enjoy their childhood. Read on to get the low down on how to get involved.
Duration: 1 to 12 weeks
Hours: Mon to Fri, 5-6 hrs per day
Activities: Teaching English, arts, music and sports; assisting with vocational training; helping to organise fun days out.
City info: Modern, vibrant city of Medellin, Colombia
Accommodation: Hostel with private rooms or dorm rooms / Homestay / Apartment
Requirements: Aged 18+
Volunteer Placement Fee: From UK£670 / US$795
How you will spend your time at the project
Volunteers work 5 days a week, 5-6 hours per day with weekends free. A typical volunteer day may include playing games, drawing pictures and playing sports with the children as well as assisting the local staff and teachers at the project. Volunteers may also have the opportunity to assist in English classes at the local government school attended by the children at the project
- Assisting local teachers with class preparations
- Assisting with English classes arts & crafts, music and sports at the project
- Playing games and other fun activities with the children
- Assisting with English classes at the local government school attended by the children at the project
- Helping local staff to organise and run excursions for the children
- General cleaning and maintenance around the project
Why the project needs volunteersAnti-government groups and drug cartels have forced many Colombians to flee their rural homes to find a safer life in the major cities. There are more than three million displaced people in Colombia and half of these are below 15 years of age. These people have lost their homes, land and means to care for themselves, leaving children to a dangerous life on the streets where they are exposed to traffickers, drugs, gang violence and the sex trade.
The local organisations we work with are government approved and strictly regulated by the Ministry of Family Wellbeing. They provide education, shelter, food and a safe haven away from the streets to those children who have been forced into a desperate situation. Project funding is from private donations so volunteers provide vital assistance to local staff, helping them to make the most of the limited resources available. Volunteers help project staff in a wide variety of essential tasks but can also open the children's eyes to the possibilities for their future.
"I would recommend a volunteer placement with Globalteer if you are looking to make an international holiday more fulfilling, if you are seeking out a worthwhile life experience, or if you just fancy doing something different that benefits others."
Read more about the Colombia Kids Project including accommodation, location, extra activities, climate
and what makes Globalteer different.
Volunteer Placement FeeThe volunteer placement fee includes: Project donation Airport pick up
in Medellin. Dorm room accommodation
(maximum four people per dorm) or Homestay accommodation Daily return ticket
for metro transport to the projects.
Colombia orientation guide
. In country support
from the Globalteer volunteer coordinator.
Free introductory Spanish classes Other accommodation options include:
Groups and families are welcome at this project. Returning volunteers and those doing multiple Globalteer projects will receive a discount of US$70 / GBP£50.
- Private en-suite room with television is approximately an additional US$145 / GBP£123 per week
- Private room with shared bathroom and no television is approximately an additional US$105 / GBP£88 per week
- Homestays at the same standard rate
Back to top
Back to projects
Application process & requirements
The minimum age for volunteers is 18 years old. No previous experience or qualifications are necessary but we do require volunteers to be respectful and open minded to the cultural differences they will encounter in Colombia.
- Click on the link below to fill out an application form.
- Add "@globalteer.org" to your E-mail safe list to ensure that you receive a response.
- Your application will be reviewed and if accepted you will be notified via E-mail within one week.
- Pay your deposit to secure your placement within one week of acceptance.
- Undergo your background check for the safety of the children.
- Research your destination, book your flight, inoculations and ask us any questions you may have.
- Full amount is to be paid 10 weeks before the start of your placement.
- A comprehensive information folder will be sent to you with all information including a packing list, Colombia cultural differences, etiquette, useful language phrases, volunteer Colombia rules, useful phone contacts and full project information.