Volunteer Laos Wildlife Sanctuary
Volunteer to care for rescued wildlife in stunning Laos at a rescue, rehabilitation and release centre that is dedicated to protecting animals saved from the illegal wildlife trade. Volunteers are needed to assist at the project that is the first and only official release centre in Laos and at the forefront of supporting wildlife conservation in South East Asia. Read on to get the lowdown on how you can help...
Duration: 1 to 12 weeks
Hours: 6 days a week, 6.30am to 5pm with meal breaks
Activities: Preparing food and enrichments for the animals, cleaning enclosures, maintenance
City info: Vientiane, Laos
Accommodation: Shared room in an onsite bungalow
Requirements: Aged 18+
Volunteer Placement Fee: From £650 / US$775
How you will spend your time at the project
Volunteers work a six day week, with one day off to explore the local area or relax. Hours worked and activities will vary based on the season, number of volunteers, and needs of the centre. Be prepared to work hard!
Here is an example of some of the work you will carry out with the animals:
- Cleaning out enclosures for all animals, including pools
- Making and giving enrichments to stimulate animals in the form of new challenges or novel items
- Preparing food
- Feeding the animals
- Planting crops
- Harvesting bamboo and grasses for food
- Helping to set up an education center
- Maintaining the enclosures
- Cleaning and repairing the centre
- Assisting with special projects
These are only examples of what your daily activities may be. The sanctuary is newly open to volunteers and is in partnership with a local wildlife park so this is an evolving project and duties will vary depending upon the needs of the animals and the sanctuary.
It is also a unique opportunity to be a part of a newly designed animal rescue project and your work on the ground will help to provide a better environment for animals that have been neglected. A positive and practical attitude towards animal welfare and wildlife conservation is a must!
Why the project needs volunteers
The Laos Wildlife Sanctuary is a rescue, rehabilitation and release centre that is dedicated to protecting animals saved from the illegal wildlife trade. As the first and only official release centre in Laos, our partner project is at the forefront of supporting wildlife conservation in South East Asia.
Laos is a major gateway for the illegal trade of wildlife out of South East Asia, with the capture and sale of local wildlife also being one of the biggest factors pushing several species into extinction. Thousands of protected animals are traded through Laos every day for their skin and meat, and also as traditional medicines, decorations, and pets. This can include exotic birds, bears, deer, gibbons, macaques, lorises, civets, elephants, leopards, crocodiles and binturongs. Without a rescue centre in Laos, local authorities wouldn’t be able to enforce wildlife laws, and rescued animals would not have a safe location to go to for their rehabilitation, and where possible release.
At this project, volunteers play a vital role in protecting the unique wildlife of Asia, while also having the amazing opportunity to help a range of endangered animals. Volunteers help with the welfare of the animals and day to day running of the project by providing food and animal care, assisting with the wildlife hospital and quarantine centre, and upgrading facilities at the sanctuary.
Read more about the Laos Wildlife Sanctuary including accommodation, location, extra activities, climate
and what makes Globalteer different.
Volunteer Placement FeeThe volunteer placement fee includes:
- Pre-departure support
- Safe and comfortable accommodation for the duration of your stay
- Three meals a day
- In-country support and orientation
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Comprehensive information packet
- Assistance and advice for traveling to Laos
- Letter of reference (if requested)
- An unforgettable experience!
The volunteer placement fee does not include flights, visas, or travel insurance, though we can provide information as requested.
We will organise your pick-up for a hotel or airport in Vientiane, but the cost for the transfer is not included in the volunteer placement fee, and is to be paid directly to the driver upon arrival at the centre. The cost of this is 1500 baht (paid in baht or LAK) for the car, and not per person, so will be cheaper if there are several people in the car. Groups and families are welcome at this project. Returning volunteers and those doing multiple Globalteer projects will receive a discount of US$70 / GBP£50.
Back to top
Back to projects
Application process & requirements
The minimum age for volunteers is 18 years old. No previous experience or qualifications are necessary but we do require volunteers to be respectful and open minded to the cultural differences they will encounter in Laos.
Volunteers must be reasonably fit as the work can be demanding in the tropical heat. You must be able to speak English. Volunteers must have a similar ideology to the mission of the project. Wildlife trainers and those who exploit wildlife for the benefit of people are not suitable for this project.
- Click on the link below to fill out an application form.
- Add "@globalteer.org" to your E-mail safe list to ensure that you receive a response.
- Your application will be reviewed and if accepted you will be notified via E-mail within one week.
- Pay your deposit to secure your placement within one week of acceptance.
- Research your destination, book your flight, inoculations and ask us any questions you may have.
- Full amount is to be paid 10 weeks before the start of your placement.
- A comprehensive information folder will be sent to you with all information including a packing list, Thailand cultural differences, Buddhist Monk etiquette, useful language phrases, wildlife sanctuary rules, useful phone contacts and full project information.