Volunteer Peru Community Project
The Peru Community Project needs volunteers who can help give underprivileged children in a village near Cusco a better start in life. Volunteer at this project to help put smile on the children's faces while helping them work towards a brighter future. Read on to get the low down on how you can get involved.
Duration: 1 to 12 weeks
Hours: Mon to Fri, approximately 4 - 6 hours per day
Activities: Assisting with English, arts & crafts, and computing classes; helping out with sports & games and in the kindergarten. Reading with children, assisting with homework.
City info: Volunteers are based in the historic city of Cusco, Peru
Accommodation: Private room in a 2* Hotel, shared dorm in a hostel, private room in homestay or apartment
Requirements: Aged 18+
Volunteer Placement Fee: From UK£580 / US$745
How you will spend your time at the project
Volunteer hours are from 1pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday with class times are from 2:30pm to 5pm; volunteers arrive at 1pm to help the local staff prepare lessons and get the classrooms and playground ready for the children. Volunteers are welcome to attend the project in the mornings if the staff need help with other tasks such as gardening and decorating.
- Assisting local staff preparing for classes.
- Assisting in cleaning classrooms and playgrounds.
- Assisting teachers in the increasingly important English classes
- Helping out with arts & crafts, games and sports
- Assisting children with homework
- Assisting local teachers with maths, reading and communication classes
- Assisting with general maintenance around the project
Why the project needs volunteers
Despite the wealth of tourist money that enters the country (particularly Cusco), very little of this money filters down to the average Peruvian. According to a 2011 study, nationwide poverty levels were around 33%, but reached 70% in parts of the Andean and Amazonian regions where the country's indigenous population is concentrated. In these same areas, rates of malnutrition, infant and maternal mortality were also much higher and access to healthcare more limited.
With poverty levels significantly higher in rural areas, there is a lack of education, reliable healthcare and good nutrition, which affects the poorest the hardest. Volunteers help the project staff to focus on giving the children a better education and teaching them about health and nutrition, all of which helps the least fortunate live healthily, with dignity and with a future.
Funds are used to:
- Run the Picaflor House volunteer community project.
- Provide access to decent health care for the children.
- Provide educational materials.
- Supplement the running costs.
- Provide sports equipment.
- Support the Children's Reading Project
- Our work is not possible without the invaluable assistance of volunteers and the donations generously provided.
“Volunteering was an amazing and rewarding experience that I’d highly recommend to anyone. You can’t help but fall in love with the place and the people. You’re guaranteed to leave with some of your greatest memories.”
Maria, Teacher, Ireland
Read more about the Peru Community Project including accommodation, location, extra activities, climate and what makes Globalteer different.
|No. of weeks|
Volunteer Placement Fee
The volunteer placement fee includes:
- Project donation.
- Airport pick up from Cusco international airport.
- Peru orientation guide and induction on arrival.
- Cusco town tour.
- Standard accommodation for the duration of your volunteer placement
- In country support from our volunteer co-ordinator and Peru team.
- Free Spanish language classes in Cusco during your first week
- Daily local bus transport to and from your project
The volunteer placement fee does not include flights, visas or insurance although we can provide information as required. Upgrade accommodation in a 3* city centre hotel is available for the following approximate additional costs: Private single
– an additional £156 / $200USD per week
Double – an additional £60 / $80USD per person per week. The double room is only available for a two person booking. Groups and families are welcome at this project. Returning volunteers and those doing multiple Globalteer projects will receive a discount of US$70 / GBP£50.
Triple – an additional £31 / $40USD per person per week. The triple room is only available for a three person booking.
Back to top
Back to projects
Application process & requirements
The minimum age for volunteers is 18 years old. No previous volunteering experience or qualifications are necessary but we do require volunteers to be respectful and open minded to the cultural differences they will encounter in Peru.
- Click on the link below to fill out an application form.
- Add "@globalteer.org" to your E-mail safe list to ensure that you receive a response.
- Your application will be reviewed and if accepted you will be notified via E-mail within one week.
- Pay your deposit to secure your placement within one week of acceptance.
- Undergo your background check for the safety of the children.
- Research your destination, book your flight, inoculations and ask us any questions you may have.
- Full amount is to be paid 10 weeks before the start of your volunteer placement.
- A comprehensive information folder will be sent to you with all information including a packing list, Peru cultural differences, etiquette, useful language phrases, volunteer placement rules, useful phone contacts and full project information.