Volunteer Peru Community Project
The Peru Community Project needs volunteers who can help give underprivileged children in a village near Cusco a better start in life. Read on to get the low down on how you can help put smile on the children's faces while helping them work towards a brighter future.
Duration: 1 to 12 weeks
Hours: Mon to Fri, approximately 4 - 6 hours per day
Activities: Assisting with English, arts & crafts, and computing classes; helping out with sports & games and in the kindergarten. Reading with children, assisting with homework.
City info: Volunteers are based in the historic city of Cusco, Peru
Accommodation: Private room in a 2* Hotel, shared dorm in a hostel, private room in homestay or apartment
Requirements: Aged 18+
Volunteer Placement Fee: From UK£625 / US$745
How you will spend your time at the project
Volunteer hours are from 1pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday with class times are from 2:30pm to 5pm; volunteers help the local staff prepare and deliver classes in subjects such as English, arts and crafts and sports and can also help the staff with other tasks such as gardening and decorating.
- Assisting local staff preparing for classes
- Assisting teachers in the increasingly important English classes
- Helping out with arts & crafts, games and sports
- Assisting children with their school homework
- Assisting our local teachers with maths, reading and communication classes
- Assisting in cleaning classrooms and playgrounds
- Assisting with general maintenance around the project
Why the project needs volunteers
Despite the wealth of tourist money that enters the country (particularly Cusco), very little of this money filters down to the average Peruvian. According to a 2013 study, almost 50% of the rural Andean population live below the poverty line. In these same areas, rates of malnutrition, infant and maternal mortality were also much higher and access to healthcare more limited.
Better education is the key to a better future for poor rural Peruvian communities. Volunteers help our project staff to give the children a holistic education which helps their school work and gives them and their families a better understanding of the basics of health and nutrition, all of which helps the least fortunate live healthily, with dignity and with a future.
The project's work is not possible without the invaluable assistance of volunteers and the donations generously provided. You can read more about project here: Picaflor House volunteer community project
“Volunteering was an amazing and rewarding experience that I’d highly recommend to anyone. You can’t help but fall in love with the place and the people. You’re guaranteed to leave with some of your greatest memories.”
Maria, Teacher, Ireland
Read more about the Peru Community Project including accommodation, location, extra activities, climate and what makes Globalteer different.
|No. of weeks|
Volunteer Placement Fee
The volunteer placement fee includes:
- Project donation.
- Airport pick up from Cusco international airport.
- Peru orientation guide and induction on arrival.
- Cusco town tour.
- Standard accommodation for the duration of your volunteer placement
- In country support from our volunteer co-ordinator and Peru team.
- Free Spanish language classes in Cusco during your first week
- Daily local bus transport to and from your project
The volunteer placement fee does not include flights, visas or insurance although we can provide information as required. Upgrade accommodation in a 3* city centre hotel is available for the following approximate additional costs: Private single
– an additional £170 / $200USD per week
Double – an additional £68 / $80USD per person per week. The double room is only available for a two person booking. Groups and families are welcome at this project. Returning volunteers and those doing multiple Globalteer projects will receive a discount of US$70 / GBP£50.
Triple – an additional £34 / $40USD per person per week. The triple room is only available for a three person booking.
Back to top
Back to projects
Application process & requirements
The minimum age for volunteers is 18 years old. No previous volunteering experience or qualifications are necessary but we do require volunteers to be respectful and open minded to the cultural differences they will encounter in Peru.
- Click on the link below to fill out an application form.
- Add "@globalteer.org" to your E-mail safe list to ensure that you receive a response.
- Your application will be reviewed and if accepted you will be notified via E-mail within one week.
- Pay your deposit to secure your placement within one week of acceptance.
- Undergo your background check for the safety of the children.
- Research your destination, book your flight, inoculations and ask us any questions you may have.
- Full amount is to be paid 10 weeks before the start of your volunteer placement.
- A comprehensive information folder will be sent to you with all information including a packing list, Peru cultural differences, etiquette, useful language phrases, volunteer placement rules, useful phone contacts and full project information.