Volunteer Peru Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary
We need volunteers to help us care for rescued wildlife from the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest. This rescue, rehabilitation and release centre promotes and protects the welfare of rainforest animals and the conservation of their habitat. Read on to find out how you can help make a difference...
Duration: 1 to 12 weeks
Hours: 4 to 5 hours per day, 6 days per week
Activities: Caring for rescued animals and preparing their food
City info: Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Accommodation: Shared rooms in rustic rural conditions
Requirements: Aged 18+, with a passion for animal welfare
Volunteer Placement Fee: From £560 / $665
How you will spend your time at the project
Volunteers at the project work approximately 4-5 hours a day, 6 days a week assisting project staff with a wide variety of duties including food preparation and feeding the rescued animals, helping to exercise the animals and construction, repair and cleaning of animal enclosures.
The different tasks at the project are regularly rotated to ensure that all the necessary work is done and means that volunteers get to help out with a broad range of tasks. The work can be hard in the tropical climate, but is also very rewarding. Daily activities include:
• Assisting with the preparation of food for the rescued animals
• Assisting in feeding rounds in the mornings and evenings
• Assisting with the construction and repair of animal enclosures
• Assisting with the cleaning and furnishing of animal enclosures
• Helping to exercise the animals.
Why the project needs volunteers
Volunteers are needed to assist local qualified staff with the care of the animals and maintenance of the wildlife rescue centre. Volunteers contribute to the protection of endangered animals and to preserving the unique biodiversity of the Amazon Rainforest.
Buying and selling endangered and protected wildlife is the third biggest illegal trade in the world after arms and drugs, moving over US$20 million worth of wild species per year.
The illegal and uncontrolled extraction of animals from the Amazon is deeply affecting the biodiversity of the rainforest to the point that some species are now endangered.
Many of the animals at the centre have been rescued from the illegal trafficking and pet trade or abusive homes, and are often arrive injured or stressed. Animals are also brought in sick or dying by local people because of hunting accidents.
Without a sustainable rescue centre, there would be nowhere in the area for rescued animals to be taken for rehabilitation, and where feasible, release back into the wild. Volunteers play a vital role in helping the day to day running of the sanctuary, and supporting the physical and psychological wellbeing of the animals being rehabilitated at the shelter.
"My favourite thing about volunteering at the Peru Wildlife Sanctuary was EVERYTHING"
Read more about the Peru Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary Project including accommodation, location, extra activities, climate
and what makes Globalteer different.
|No. of Weeks|
Volunteer Placement Fee
Your volunteer placement fee includes:
- Accommodation for the duration of the stay at the project
- Three meals a day
- Full pre-arrival and in-country support
- Support for the wildlife sanctuary project
- An unforgettable experience!
Your volunteer placement fee does not include flights, visas or insurance, although we can provide information as required. Groups and families are welcome at this project. Returning volunteers and those doing multiple Globalteer projects will receive a discount of US$70 / GBP£50.
Application process & requirements
The minimum age for volunteering is 18 years of age. No previous experience or qualifications are necessary but we do require volunteers to be passionate about animals and to be able to cope with rustic living conditions in a relatively isolated location. Travel insurance is compulsory for this project.
Volunteers must be reasonably physically fit as the work entails long hours and can be demanding. You must be able to speak either English or Spanish. Volunteers must have a similar ideology to the mission of the Peru Wildlife Sanctuary. Wildlife trainers and those who exploit wildlife for the benefit of people are not suitable for this project.
Back to top
Back to projects
- Click on the link below to fill out an application form.
- Add "@globalteer.org" to your E-mail safe list to ensure that you receive a response.
- Your application will be reviewed and if accepted you will be notified via E-mail within one week.
- Pay your deposit to secure your placement within one week of acceptance.
- Research your destination, book your flight, inoculations and ask us any questions you may have.
- Full amount is to be paid 10 weeks before the start of your volunteer placement.
- A comprehensive information folder will be sent to you with all information including a packing list, Peru cultural differences, etiquette, useful language phrases, volunteer placement rules, useful phone contacts and full project information.